22 March 2011

Flying Ponytails

I have these moments in the day that remind me - even if only for a moment - why I have the greatest job in the world. I have some days when I feel like this all day long, like those first really warm days of the year when its 70 degrees and fully sunny and everyone is stuck in their office hoping the weekend will be nice and I'm outside soaking it up with the girls. I also have days when I know I must simply be insane to have volunteered for this gig.

This morning, I had one of those "best job in the world" moments. EC and LR got new shoes over the weekend - sparkly, pink and purple, girly shoes. They are over the moon about them, not just because they are girly, but because every kid knows that new shoes make you run faster and jump higher. We were getting ready to head out for the day, so after she was dressed and coifed, EC put on her new shoes and started running from one end of the living room to the other.

"Look at me, mommy, I'm superfast!" she shouted.

I finished up LR's ponytails and she brought me her shoes. She wanted to be superfast too. I put them on her and she took off in her new pink sneakers, racing with her big sister. They ran back and forth, ponytails flying. They were giggling in the way that only sisters and best friends can - laughing as they bounced off each other and the bedroom door. Sprinting back and forth like it was the most fun thing to do in the entire world. They had matching laughs and matching ponytails. And I stood there watching them and thinking that this is the exact reason that we had two - so EC would always and forever have someone to be silly and superfast and giggly with. That whenever she was doing the most fun thing in the entire world, that she could look over and see that she had someone to share it with.

1 comment: