27 April 2011

From Laughter to Love

Kids say the darnedest things, don't they? While leaving Target with our shopping cart filled with $100 worth of diapers, wipes and craft supplies, EC spotted a woman dressed head-to-toe in spandex. She quickly pointed out the woman and said, "Mommy, look she's a superhero!" Not sure if that woman heard her, but I know that the day that something mortifying comes out of her mouth is close at hand and I'm not looking forward to it.

EC pointed out one day that "Mommy has the hugest butt in the whole world!" Its no coincidence that I'm currently struggling my way through Weight Watchers. When she was pretending to be Daddy one day and said in her deep daddy voice that "Daddys don't play toys," G decided it might be important for him to take five minutes each morning to play with the girls before rushing off to work. Kids have an interesting perspective on the world - it is unfiltered and void of political correctness. And as much as I worry about what might come one day, I have to admit that I'm enjoying the humor of it all now. A really good laugh is the perfect antidote to a difficult day and I love having these stories to share with G.

The other thing about EC getting older, more aware of the things around her, and better able to articulate what she's trying to say is that she really gets it when she says, "I love you." She will run up, throw her arms around me and say, "I love you, Mommy!" unprompted. Those moments are even better than the humorous ones. For no matter how challenging the day, it is impossible to be anything other than happy when ambushed by a toddler who just wants to express her love for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment